Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Quilt is Born

When Niece #1 graduated from high school, I set a precedent to launch all four of my favorite young punks into adult life with, you know, a blankie. Now it's #2's turn. I sent her a collection of my quilts (with a few of Rebel's thrown in for good measure) and had her tell me what she liked and didn't like.

Things that N#2 like include stripes, asymmetry, and a look inspired by modernism. Sweet! They also include black and red, which are the only two colors of fabric that I do not have coming out of my ears. For the first time in a couple of years, I will actually have to buy short lengths of fabric. But that's OK.

After some fussing with graph paper, I had two designs I liked. They are not something I myself would want to sleep under -- hence the working titles -- but hey, I'm not Niece #2.

UnQuiet Dreams #1



UnQuiet Dreams #2



N#2 has given the nod to the second -- as I'd hoped! -- so at some point I will be moving into fabric acquisition mode. Probably it will become "UnQuiet Dreams," dropping the "#2", and "UnQuiet Dreams #1" will disappear into the vast literature of quilts that never happened. But who knows?

5 comments:

Libby said...

You should TOTALLY make both and make it two-sided. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I have more black than is healthy for my stash. Happy to share. Want so see some pics? I can send a care package. -Lisa

Rebel said...

I'm really excited to see how this turns out. I think it's cool, and totally unlike anything I would normally do.

And it's fun to see the thought process that goes into your quilts. I do some planning on mine, but I'm often in a big hurry for one reason or another.

Michael5000 said...

Libster: Great idea! Although, no. I think I might do UQD#1 in more prettier colors. Maybe then it would be 'QD'.

Anon/Lisa: I'm writing a little ahead of the action at the moment, and not only have the fabric collected but cut at this point. But thanks!

Reb: I agree with you on every point. It's cool, unlike anything I would normally do, and I'm excited to see how it turns out. Also a little nervous.

Anonymous said...

Hi, very interesting post, greetings from Greece!